Welcome to My Life of Organized Chaos Where Crazy Eventually Catches up to you!

3/22/07

Waving the white flag oh.....and a pink slip

So my week from hell has just gotten 100 times better.

Why you ask?

I'm getting laid off....VERY shortly.

Please no tears, no tears. Really. With our big move coming up I wasn't sure I wanted to continue the commute into the city anyway. This really is the best thing that could have happened.

I got confirmation on Wed from my boss that YES, it's only a short matter of time before I get laid off. As in the next 2 weeks to a month at the latest.

They asked him for a "schedule" and he had someone getting laid off in June, July and August to stretch it out hoping to get more business and be able to keep someone.

HR came back and said "No, you need to condense it and we need 4."

So my boss said "ok, MAY, June, July and August."

They came back and said "No, 2 in April, 2 in May." and by this they mean BY April 1st. Hello people it's already March 21st when my boss was telling me this and they give everyone 2 weeks notice to let you know.

He said he's still shooting for 1 person in April, 2 in May and 1 in June on the chance to keep me through June but when push comes to shove he'll have very little say in the matter.

So I'll be getting laid off very soon, which really right now..is a blessing.

The only other thing he's waiting to hear back from them on is my 4 yr anniversary is April 14th. When I hit that I would get another week of severance so he's trying to say to HR. "I have someone for April IF you give her the extra week since she'll be just a few days shy of her anniversary date anyway" and REALLY..they should. That's just cruel. It's a matter of 1 to 2 weeks pay for them out of pocket so we'll see what their final decision is on that.

I'm anticipating coming in Friday or Monday and being told that my last day here will be April 6th or 13th. Then 6 weeks severance and then unemployment will kick in. Really, it's fine, it's a crap package. We got sold the end of 2005 by our parent company to some small rinky-dink company. At the end of 2006 they changed the severance packages. It used to be 4 weeks up front plus 2 weeks for every year of service, which meant I would have gotten 10 or 12 weeks at 100%. Now my options are 5 or 6 weeks.

I'm actually quite thrilled for the time off. I can help with my sisters if they need me, I can get some rest, I can enjoy the kids and baseball. I can clean and pack and cook good meals instead of eating on the fly every darn day..and not stress about money.

So yeah...not the greatest news since I was originally hoping to stay as long through the summer as possible and get us further out of debt in anticipation of the move and the hopes of only having to work part time or (gasp) not having to work at all. So this came as a little bit of downer. Then I did the typical Angie thing and crunched the numbers and realized that I will be making about $230 -$250 MORE on unemployment (how sad is that- shows you how much I pay out in daycare for Casey) so it's kind of a no brain decision that I could stay home and STILL pay the debt down.

So there ya go.

I threw up the white surrender flag and offered myself up to the severance Gods back in January and now it's finally going to happen.

Just trying to clean up my desk in preparation of the "news". I can't remember ever being this calm about losing a job. Maybe I'm growing...

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your job loss! But what I've learned from going through it twice now is that it always ends up working out for the best, and it looks like you've already figured that out, so you're doing better than most people already!

March 22, 2007 at 8:17 AM  
Blogger M said...

Oh Angie I am so fucking happy for you I could scream. Not QUITE ideal timing, but, uh, really? I think it's pretty damn ideal timing. xoxoxoxoxoxox

March 22, 2007 at 8:48 AM  
Blogger HeatherAnn Fragglehead said...

I'm glad you're happy. I'm glad that they've at least told you. So you can prepare and plan.

You could totally use some time off.

I hope they keep you on long enough to get that extra week of severance pay.

March 22, 2007 at 9:51 AM  
Blogger That Chick Over There said...

I'm glad, honestly I am. You need some time to rest and take care of yourself and your family and enjoy your baby for a while.

I love you!

March 22, 2007 at 10:01 AM  
Blogger Tamar said...

I heart you. I also agree with everyone else that life owes you some time off right now. I don't think you've really had a chance to stop and breathe since Casey arrived - and okay, I realize that while taking care of an energetic toddler you STILL won't get much of a chance to smell the roses... but I do hope you get to enjoy life a little more.

(Also? Everyone who posted on this blog with a photo is so very pretty. Except for Jason, he can be manly. :P)

March 22, 2007 at 10:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you!! Really? It's a win-win...time off to pack and not rush with things; time off to BE and not rush for things; time off to do what you want, when you want. Time with the kids...

Rock on, sistah...rock on :)

March 22, 2007 at 11:19 AM  
Blogger Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

How great to hear that you'll look good in "pink". Congrats...not just becuase of the time off, but the for the growing up it took to see the good in it and not sulk.

I would've sulked even if it was proved to me to be a good thing. Not quite down with the growing up yet.

March 22, 2007 at 1:29 PM  
Blogger frannie said...

great news for you!!!! I am so happy that you will have more time to live your life!

March 22, 2007 at 4:34 PM  
Blogger Alpha Dude said...

You Rock, Angie!

Your boss must think rather highly of you to inform you up front and to try to act as a buffer for you.

Blessings to you.

March 22, 2007 at 7:11 PM  
Blogger Emma in Canada said...

It's not often one says congratulations upon a job loss but I'll offer some up. Daycare fees are crazy, and it will be nice for you and Casey to have that mommy/daughter time during the day.

March 22, 2007 at 10:36 PM  
Blogger SJINCO said...

If you're happy, I'm happy! Congrats on the pink slip - and enjoy spending time living life!

And I'm asking, did you ever email me back?

March 23, 2007 at 6:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home