Welcome to My Life of Organized Chaos Where Crazy Eventually Catches up to you!

12/29/06

2006 A Year in Review

My friend from Pardon the Egg Salad posted this..and I'll "borrow" the idea for now...

1. What did you do in 2006 that you'd never done before? – I stopped worrying much about what other people think of me. The relief I feel now, was worth it.

2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year? – About 60/40 of them kept. I’ve made a few for 2007.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth? -- yes
4. Did anyone close to you die? -- yes

5. What countries did you visit? – does the UP of Michigan qualify?

6. What would you like to have in 2007 that you lacked in 2006? – More quality time with my kids instead of feeling like I’m running 24/7

7. What dates from 2006 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Feb. 3rd when my Mother’s husband died. I’ve never been in a room when someone had died. June 3rd, my daughter’s first b-day and the anniversary of the day I nearly died. Nov. 18th when I watched my son win a super bowl title with football. Oct. 2nd the day my husband started a new job.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? – Realizing that I was still capable of unconditional love for someone I’m NOT related to. I know this seems like a big stretch….but when you’re divorced and then fall in love again, only to be let down for a 2nd time. The next guy has a BIG order to fill. Luckily for me, my dear husband IS the guy for me.

9. What was your biggest failure? – Feeling like I let my kids down during a time of unconditional love. There was a time I actually uttered the words “They deserve a better Mother than me” and that was heartbreaking for me.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury? – NO…2005 brought enough of that for me with my pregnancy. Aside from my husband being sideswiped by a semi and my son needing 4 staples in his head after falling off a bike oh then there was the “premature puberty” scare with my 18 month old….ah crap 2006 wasn’t much better in that department not that I look back. Well, we’re all alive and healthy so I guess we’re ok.

11. What was the best thing you bought? – I bought? Nothing really. I spend a great deal of money on my kids. $195 for traveling baseball, $211 for football…$50 to the March of Dimes to fight prematurity…..these were all great money spent.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration? – My son growing up this football season. I know it sounds corny but Kyle’s never been much of a good sport in the losing department..and NOT that they lost..they actually never lost a game..but he learned to be something bigger. He learned he was a part of a team and that they all need each other. He grew tremendously over that 4 months. It took great dedication. With that he’s now transferred that dedication to his schoolwork, his sometimes rocky relationship with Jeff, he has great patience with his sister and he’s much more loving and open with me than he used to be and that’s saying A LOT because he's always been open with me.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? – My husband’s family once again. Their indifference towards my husband, his life, his family just saddens me. My own siblings have left something to be desired as well with their treatment of my Mother after the death of her husband.

14. Where did most of your money go? – Money? What money? When we had it…mostly to the kids and medical bills from 2005.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? – I GOT really excited about taking a trip to Seattle that I never got to take because of financial problems. Then my Mom brought me the idea of renting to own her house til 2009 when she can legally sell it to me…and the idea of our first home….well that’s kept me going since early Fall.

16. What song will always remind you of 2006? – Probably either the song by The Fray from Grey’s Anatomy that they played 100 times a day or “Come on Over” by Rob Thomas because CLEARLY I watch entirely too much ABC…but that was all over the airwaves for the fall season premiere shows. OR…”My Wish” by Rascal Flatts because we used it for a video montage for my sister in May of 2006 before it got released as a single and now I hear it all the time and think of her.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? – THIS time last year…about the same maybe a little happier but for the year I’m up 100 points because at this time last year I had NO idea what was about to happen to my husband’s job situation and what kind of toll that would take on our lives.
b) thinner or fatter? –probably the same..but much fatter from 2004 still carrying around 50 lbs of baby weight.
c) richer or poorer? – At this time last year…richer

18. What do you wish you'd done more of? – Exercise, reading and SLEEP
19. What do you wish you'd done less of? – worrying
20. How will you be spending Christmas? – we spent it as we always have- product of a divorced family. Christmas Eve with Mom, Christmas Day at Dad’s

21. Did you fall in love in 2006? – All over again with my DH, just when I was worried I might have lost it too.

22. How many one-night stands? – HA….none…happily married

23. What was your favorite TV program? – Probably Grey’s Anatomy or Lost

24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year? – Uh…hate is a strong word..but I have very strong ill feelings and it’s so unfortunate for me really.

25. What was the best book you read? Oh goodness..isn’t it hard to remember these things…my friend at work gave it to me. It’s strictly letters between two friends, no direct dialogue over their 50 year span of friendship. It was so inspiring to see 2 women still be friends after all that time. It made me hopeful.

26. What was your greatest musical discovery? Not any ONE just realizing that I can love my old “hip hop” 90s music as well as new country, Bob Seger, Fleetwood Mac and 3 Doors Down.

27. What did you want and get? – I wanted my husband to get a better job and he did.

28. What did you want and not get? – I didn’t get to spend more time with myself. Something I hope to rectify in 2007.

29. What was your favorite film of this year? -- I don’t think it came out this year…but I love character studies..and I really loved “The Family Stone”. That could totally BE my family.

30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? – Well I have another coming up…but it’s Jan. 3rd and in 2006 I was 33. I didn’t really do anything much….this year I won’t again. It’s so close to NYE and no one wants to go out again…so I usually go out in early Feb and we celebrate mine AND my husband’s together.

31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? My husband’s family coming to visit him because I know how much it would mean to him.

32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2006? – If it remotely fits I wear it.

33. What kept you sane? The same thing that makes me crazy, my kids.

34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?mmmmm….even though I don’t watch the show (Friday Night Lights)….seeing Kyle Chandler back on TV makes me happy. Matthew Fox from Lost has been an obsession of mine since Party of Five. He’s yummy.

35. What political issue stirred you the most? – how much time do you have?

36. Who did you miss? – I miss my Mom. She’s not the same as she used to be. She’s much more concerned with how other people see her and less concerned that she has 4 kids and 4 grandkids that adore her. She's the a-typical single Mother becoming very selfish later in life..which isn't a bad thing...but everything in moderation.

37. Who was the best new person you met? – The best people I know I’ve known a few years….but there wasn’t any one person that stands out. I have gotten to know a few close friends BETTER and we've grown closer and I realize how much I need them in my life. Also I reconnected with an OLD friend again..and that has made me happy that we can still be friends now because we're the same people we were then. That's quite comforting.

38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2006. Unconditional love makes you crazy. Roll with it, treasure it, cherish it, nurture it..it will come back to you.

39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Been running from these feelings for so long
Telling my heart I didn't need you
Pretending I was better off alone
But I know that it's just a lie
So afraid to take a chance again
So afraid of what I feel inside
But I need to be next to you

Sara Evans- "Need To Be Next To You"

1 Comments:

Blogger velocibadgergirl said...

Very cool! I loved reading this. Thanks for sharing! xoxo

December 29, 2006 at 10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home