Welcome to My Life of Organized Chaos Where Crazy Eventually Catches up to you!

1/16/07

I "raised" him right

Couple things...

I'm having a minor panic attack about my darling son.

See Kyle is just. the. most. precious. thing. to me ever and he's already 14. (GOOD Frogs-when did that happen?)

Friday he came home and he says "Mom, I'm up to 5'11"."

"You are NOT..who told you that?"

"School."

"Oh is it time for that height/weight Presidential Fitness thing again?"

"Nope, I got measured for my cap and gown today for graduation."

::silence fell on the room::

(Tears filling my eyes) "Oh Bubba."

Then he proceeds to have a conversation with me about how people are just too damn nosey.

"Huh?"

"Well you know I did this family tree thing for social studies class. When I first started it Ms. Newton said I HAD to write if it was my step-father. When I told her I didn't even talk to my real Dad so what difference does it make? I have a Dad, I have to branches to use. She got mad and said "If it's NOT your biological parent you have to write step-dad." Which I guess if fine...but then this paper that is due Tuesday where I have to talk about my ancestors it was like she singled me out again saying "if you are using your STEP-PARENTS ancestors the paper should say that." Really Mom...what business is it of theirs if he's my Dad or my adoptive Dad or my step-Dad? I don't call him my step-Dad...to me, he's my DAD and that's all that should matter. I'm not trying to get out of doing the work saying I don't have a Dad I'm still doing the work so WHY do I have to put a label on it just for them. Really...what difference does it make? and all it does is make me feel bad and make me worry that Dad will think that's how I think of him."

Again, I'm crying....

"Kyle, you're a good kid."

Seriously, after 5 years of nearly strangling both of them for the way they go at each other sometimes....this was the first time I can remember Kyle being very defensive for Jeff..and showing that deep down...he really thinks of Jeff as his Dad.

To me..this meant everything. It meant all the bonding I've encouraged, all the talk about blood not making people family, all the times I wondered if Kyle loved him like he loves me....were worth it.

God Damn I love that kid.

4 Comments:

Blogger Rachel (Crazy-Is) said...

That is wonderful that he cares so much for his "step"dad. He sees him as a father instead of just your husband. That is something that will never change. Question: Did your hubby hear this conversation?

January 16, 2007 at 10:53 AM  
Blogger Brown Eyed Girl said...

Actually no Rachel he didn't; he was working. I did share it with him though so that he KNEW what Kyle was thinking.

Sometimes he needs to be reminded too that Kyle has been through just as big an adjustment taking on a new Dad (it was just he and I for the better part of 7 years) as Jeff did taking on a child.

January 16, 2007 at 11:16 AM  
Blogger That Chick Over There said...

The whole parent/step-parent thing is such a pet peeve for me. I mean, I understand why I guess, but don't make a kid feel bad about it! Jerks!

I love Kyle too. Do you think he's to old for my daughter?

January 16, 2007 at 11:20 AM  
Blogger Christine Spencer said...

That's BS. I can't believe the teacher is so insensitive! Some kids don't want others knowing about their family histories! If this were a medical history taken by the Dr, I could see why they'd want the biological data. But these kids are just learning how to put reports together. There's no need for her to be like that.

January 17, 2007 at 4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home