Welcome to My Life of Organized Chaos Where Crazy Eventually Catches up to you!

1/15/07

Never when you need it, always when you don't

So today my boss and I are having a "catch up" conversation since he was out all last week at training.

He starts telling me that it's time for annual review stuff...etc.

Last year my review was less than stellar and mostly cuz I was dealing with a lot of personal crap via phone. Not to mention coming back to work after having a child, which I didn't want to do anyway.

This year hasn't been much better in the "personal phone call" arena....and I'm just not looking forward to it. Especially after last year when during review time I was told we'd just lost a big contract and I could be losing my job. A year later, I'm still here.

Anyway, in the midst of this I ask..."So what are the chances that we can keep the staff where we're at?"

"blah blah blah blah....we're going to do what we can to keep everyone blah blah"

So in agreement with my husband...I sacrificed myself up to the Severance Package Gods and said "Well Mark I'm not sure you know that we're moving sometime in July to Batavia. That will more than double my commute. Jeff and I haven't made any decisions about what we're going to do but there is a chance I may start looking after that SO if you get squeezed and have to make a move, I guess I'm saying..."

"You're saying not to agonize over which of you to let go. That if you were to get a severance package it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world considering your commute will double after July."

"Yes...that's what I'm saying."

"Well Angie, like I said I don't think we're going to be letting anyone go anytime soon and if we do it'll be out of Michigan since we're really heavy staff wise up there but why don't we just agree to keep each other notified of what's going on and we'll see what happens by the end of June."

"Sure. Great idea."

It just freaking figures...when I'd hoped I'd get the axe by say April or May to collect unemployment and stay home for a while to figure out if we could afford for me to stay home........I'm assured that I should have a job here no problem. So that means another annual review complaining of something to make me feel like crap.....but really I have to let it go.

I guess what'll happen then...is really if nothing new is happening by mid-May I'll start looking for work out that way because I don't want to make the commute for ONE day...if I don't have to and I can't willingly leave a job without another one...it's just not in my nature.

Now..if we were desperately in need of the money to BUY this house in July....I'd get the axe next week...because that my friends....is Murphy's Law.

4 Comments:

Blogger That Chick Over There said...

Gah.

Are you feeling better today? I hope you got some much needed rest this weekend.

Love you.

January 15, 2007 at 6:54 AM  
Blogger Bethany said...

How bizarre is it that you just can't get fired these days? What the hell?

January 15, 2007 at 10:35 AM  
Blogger velocibadgergirl said...

Heh...well, I guess a little extra money won't hurt. But it is weird and sort of bitterly funny how these things work out, isn't it?

January 15, 2007 at 7:47 PM  
Blogger Christine Spencer said...

Nice. When you thought you might get a severance package and would be ok with it, they don't think they need to lay anyone off!

January 17, 2007 at 3:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home