Welcome to My Life of Organized Chaos Where Crazy Eventually Catches up to you!

2/8/07

"Welcome Class of 2011"

That is what I heard about 7 times last night.


See last night was "8th Grade Parents Night" at the high school. The NEW high school, that's almost 90 mins from where we live now.



So there I go driving all the way there to drop Casey off to my sister. Then Jeff and I arrive 10 minutes late. We apparently missed our "English" class.



They had you run through a selected schedule where you go to every department for 10 or 15 minutes where the chairperson talks about the freshman classes. They discuss the State of Illinois graduation requirements, Geneva High School's graduation requirements and most 4 year university entry requirements...and what does all this mean?



This means that Kyle has to think long and hard about COLLEGE before he's even in high school. Cuz he only needs 2 years of math to graduate but 3 to get into most colleges. He doesn't need any foreign languages to graduate but he'll need 2 years to get into college. SEE the problems?



It was fairly informative considering this is my first one in high school but they kept referring to everyone as though ALL the kids were already in the district. When I raised my hand and said "We're moving to the district." I got a lot of stares from parents and teachers and a few "You haven't moved YET, why are you here?"



WHY AM I HERE?



Uh...






This is why.....he's going to be a Freshmen and he's MY son...why do you think I'm here? I'm not a pushy parent..but I am very involved.


When I asked for a copy of the class descriptions that all the other 8 graders were provided yesterday I was informed that since I wasn't technically in the district yet I could get one at a later date.


Wait...you're telling me that my son has these big major decisions to make and everyone else has this book to decide by May 4th but you won't let him pick his classes or read that book til June after he's graduated from his other district and will give him about 2.2 minutes to decide his entire high school career. (Well not really but these people WERE INTENSE let me tell you).


Ok fine. I don't need a book.


On our way to the next class 2 Mothers walked up to Jeff and I and said "We don't think it's fair they won't give you a book. That's not very welcoming." My husband made a crack of course "Yeah...so far you 2 are our favorite people we've met."


Really people seemed very welcoming but I realized 4 things.


A) Kyle will live in the more "middle class" part of town that gets bused to this higher class school so I hope he doesn't experience any real backlash from that. I hope he won't since he's a pretty easy kid to like that plays sports but we'll see.


B) I don't really care if he does because just sitting through listening to the caliber of the education and the choices he gets to make, this play is heads and shoulders above the school he would attend if we decided not to move. The opportunity being presented to him is AMAZING.


C) My little boy is growing up. The Class of 2011 sounded so odd. 4 years is going to fly by.


D) I haven't felt it in a long time and I know it's going to be one of the largest classes in a while (which the Principal pointed out later 1992 and 1993 was an influx in births because of Desert Storm- who knew?) but again........Jeff and I are probably the youngest parents of a freshman at 34. I felt SO young at this thing. Now I realize it's a large class and what was represented last night might be 100 students..but still I was feeling way young. Maybe by the time Casey's in school other parents will be close to our age since I was 32 when I had her.


In any case....it was a long night driving back and forth...but so worth it. It also reinforced that this move, as hard as it will be...is the right one.

2 Comments:

Blogger Christine Spencer said...

Good for you and Jeff for being proactive and attending this meeting! I'm glad that two other parents there were supportive. Hopefully, you can meet some other parents and get more informed about other pre-high school meetings like this so that you can stay in the loop. I can't believe that Kyle's going to be in high school! I'm glad that he's going to go to a great school and have wonderful opportunities! That's awesome.

February 8, 2007 at 2:06 PM  
Blogger That Chick Over There said...

He's so darn cute.

February 9, 2007 at 5:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home