Welcome to My Life of Organized Chaos Where Crazy Eventually Catches up to you!

4/10/07

When life gives you lemons

Throw them at the first person that REALLY pisses you off.

That's my motto.

I am a naive fool.

Somehow I thought finishing out my last 2 weeks of work would be much easier than it's turned out to be.

It's really hard to be positive, not say anything negative about the company and do your job while under a microscope. It's almost as if they are trying to piss you off to the point where they WANT you to invalidate your severance.

It's not gonna happen here. I need those 4 weeks at 100% severance.

I will eat shit with a spoon and fork if necessary...all while being questioned on my judgement about every piece of work I have done for the last 18 months.

There really is no joy in mudville this week..but I'm working on finishing it out..and moving on.

In a few short months after our move, after baseball is over, after graduation I'll be sitting at the new house with hopefully fonder memories than these last 2 weeks. By then, it won't matter.

Would I love to walk out right now? Bet your ass.
Would that invalidate my severance? Yep.

Why don't I just tell them to Take Their Job and Shove it?

Because in the 16 years I've been working, I've never been unemployed for more than 3 or 4 weeks and even then I was temping somewhere during the downtime. I've never collected unemployment and this is the first time I've ever been "laid off". It's an odd feeling knowing that it wasn't anything YOU did to lose your job. It just happens.

So I will not tell them to shove it. I will continue to show up on time, do my work, answer all the ridiculous questions, make the notes about my work, adhere to my lunch break and my stop time and do it all with a smile.

Sometimes being an adult and having to do the right thing really sucks.

12 Comments:

Blogger CPA Mom said...

There is a lot about being the adult that sucks, you are right. But you are strong and you can do this. Sounds like they want to get out of paying severence. Don't play their game. I'm rooting for you!

April 10, 2007 at 6:46 AM  
Blogger velocibadgergirl said...

GRRR...maybe you can flip them the bird the day after they lay you off?

April 10, 2007 at 7:49 AM  
Blogger Amy W said...

It does suck, but you are doing the right thing. And then you can sit back and laugh at them...

April 10, 2007 at 9:51 AM  
Blogger frannie said...

just act like you don't know what the hell is going on or what they are talking about. don't answer their questions and give them a hard time, if they are going to act like that! stupid jerks! what are they going to do? fire you?

April 10, 2007 at 10:38 AM  
Blogger Rachel (Crazy-Is) said...

If only we had known that bit of information as teenagers, huh?

At least it's almost over!

April 10, 2007 at 11:22 AM  
Blogger Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Too right! Being grown up doesn't come naturally to most of us ('course, some fuddy-duddy's are just born that way - I'm allowed to say that 'cause I used to be one till I realized how mind numbingly boring it was), it's hard work.

And worthwhile work. Good for you!

April 10, 2007 at 1:58 PM  
Blogger Emma in Canada said...

You have a good attitude. I'd be holed up in my cubby crying.

April 10, 2007 at 2:06 PM  
Blogger That Chick Over There said...

Being an adult blows goats.

The end.

April 10, 2007 at 2:46 PM  
Blogger EE said...

Yes it does!!!

April 10, 2007 at 5:55 PM  
Blogger la bellina mammina said...

hi - love reading your blog. hang in there - before you know, you'll soon have the last laugh!

April 11, 2007 at 8:13 AM  
Blogger SJINCO said...

Being an adult does suck. Working out the last few weeks knowing that you are getting let go - sucks big fat monkey balls.

I'm pulling for you!

April 11, 2007 at 9:37 PM  
Blogger Dawn~a~Bon said...

Oh honey, I'm sorry. You know a situation is bad when you compare it to eating feces. Never a good thing. But tomorrow is your last day, no? Then you can have that six hours of uninterrupted sleep that you posted about!

April 12, 2007 at 11:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home