Welcome to My Life of Organized Chaos Where Crazy Eventually Catches up to you!

4/5/07

Clueless- Party of One

See what 12 years of (TINY) apartment living will do to a person? (Now put on your seat belts and stay with me. This ride could get a little bumpy.)

Kyle is graduating in 7 weeks.

Graduations mean graduations parties.

Add in 60 baseball games without a Saturday free and you're screwed.

So you think...."Can I swing this AFTER the move in July at the new house?" A) It'll be more than likely it'll be 110 degrees and B) Only family would show because it's over an hour to the new house. However C) (is a plus) and we have a pool at the new house but B) really sucks for Kyle.

Then you grab a calendar and compare the times and locations of weekend games in June. You realize that you may have to change the time of the week (as in Mon-Thurs vs. Thurs-Sun) you're going to Tennessee. *Note to self...discuss this with That Chick immediately. Oh you have a free Sunday.

Do people even HAVE graduations parties on Sundays? I mean we're not church going people...but other people might be...wait if they go to church and hang out with US, how freaking religious can they be? Ok nevermind. FOCUS Angie Grasshopper FOCUS.

Ok...wait....I have a free Sunday or 2 that I could squeeze this in....that's going to be Plan B for sure. Must discuss this with my Dad...since his house is the only logical LOCAL place to have this party anyway. Not like I can invite people over to my 2 bedroom cubicle with crappy air conditioning. We could do one of the picnic groves at the Forest Preserves except..NO ALCOHOL. Well that's just not going to fly in my lovely Irish family. You know how people don't have liquor AT their parties because they worry about people getting out of hand..yeah not my family. You worry people might get out of hand if there IS NOT any liquor. Ok back to Plan A- find a Saturday and ask Dad if that date is ok with him.

Holy Schnikes I have one. Saturday June 9th there is no baseball scheduled. If I didn't know any better...I would think our coach of 13 8th graders might have just given us a free day ( or his wife DEMANDED) in order for this blessed event to take place. The only REAL problem being that if that is our "free" Saturday. There will be 10 graduation parties in town on the same day....oh well.

Saturday June 9th or Sunday June 10th looks like a really good time to clear with my Dad, then schedule a Molly Maid to clean his house and get invitations in the mail in the next 2 1/2 weeks.

THEN....it hits me. Like a freight train.

I HAVE NEVER HOSTED A PARTY. EVER.

How much food do I order for an event such as this?
What kind of food do I order for an event such as this?
How much liquor do I buy for an event such as this? Oh never mind..in my family there can never be TOO much, only not enough.

So do I order chicken and beef from somewhere, get some salads and a cake from Sam's club?

Do I do meatballs for sandwiches in several crock pots instead of beef?

How much regular soda, how much lemon lime soda, how much diet?

Can anyone HELP out the girl that has never hosted a party..and does NOT want to fall flat on her face for her ONLY son's first graduation party. Now with family and a few friends...the list is 70 max. I expect probably 40 people or so.

Anyone?

Anyone?

Clearly slapping down some velveeta and wheat thins with water is not an option.

10 Comments:

Blogger Gerbil said...

meatballs in crockpots is great. So is barbeque food... corn on the cob. Cut ears in half, boil 'em up, set 'em out in a disposable lasagna pan. Dogs & burgers and keilbasa.

I am bad at portions - I cook like my grandmother. No one ever leaves my house hungry (crying face) - I cook like I'm trying to feed a platoon.

Hell, LASAGNA. Make lasagna.

And remember that COSTCO IS YOUR FRIEND.

April 5, 2007 at 5:58 AM  
Blogger Amy W said...

BBQ sandwiches and chips? And yes, I agree with gerbil, Costco or BJ's or Sam's club should be your friend. At least they sell cakes big enough...don't forget the cake :).

April 5, 2007 at 6:08 AM  
Blogger frannie said...

I am totally a party queen! I host all kinds of events at my house and even volunteer to do this for charities on a very large scale. if you want me to help, email me and I would be happy to give you any advice. because the questions you asked depend on a lot of things.

April 5, 2007 at 8:29 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

If you go to Wal-MArt ,they have deli trays that range from meat and cheese to hotwings and bleu cheese. They will even make you a special cake for this blessed event AND tell you exactly how much each item will feed. I honestly don't know how society existed with Wal-Mart...

April 5, 2007 at 9:38 AM  
Blogger Alpha Dude said...

COSTCO. Good stuff.
Just don't forget the cake.
There's GOTTA be a CAKE!!

By the way......
I got a real manly looking journal in the mail. I actually use it.


Thanks.

April 5, 2007 at 9:52 AM  
Blogger Rachel (Crazy-Is) said...

I cannot help you! I have NEVER hosted a party either, and I do not forsee it in the near future!

Good luck to you though.

April 5, 2007 at 10:39 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

It won't be as daunting to host it as you're thinking. My advice, to add to what you already have received, serve foods that you can prepare/prep in advance and cut corners wherever (ie buy premade). Also, serve and buy things that your family likes - so if you have left overs they won't go to waste. Sound logical right? While you're at Costo buying the cake, buy their giagantic plastic silverware box - like 300 pieces of good, heavy duty stuff. It's a great deal and there is nothing worse than trying to eat delicious food with cheap plastic silverware. Ok, there are worse things but you know what I mean - right? Oh, and you must serve a 7 layer taco dip. Email and me I tell you how to make it. It's a staple at all our parties and is always a big hit. Plus you can make it the night before - bonus!

April 5, 2007 at 11:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We had Morgan's Christening party for 65 people. BJ's was my best friend. I got the soda, plates, utensils, cups, blah blah, chips and blah blah. I ordered deli platters from a local grocery store (meats, cheeses, lettuce, onion, blah blah, rolls, mustard, mayo, blah blah). I also ordered veggie trays from the same store and the sheet cake as well.

I don't cook....but I can plan a party :)

April 5, 2007 at 12:05 PM  
Blogger Tamar said...

Potato salad? Lots of potato salad?

April 5, 2007 at 3:02 PM  
Blogger Emma in Canada said...

I'd do a barbeque. Hamburgers and hotdogs...how can you go wrong?

April 7, 2007 at 6:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home